Friday, March 3, 2017

Two-Wheelin'!

If this post had a subtitle, it would be, "Wasted Worry." Here's why! Back when Sam was going to occupational therapy for a variety of things, including tracking with his eyes, sensory sensitivity and core strength weakness, several therapists tried to get him to practice "gliding" on a bike, in hopes that it would help him learn to ride one ultimately (one does often lead to the other). The fact that this was done by an occupational therapist...and usually preceded by, "Learning to ride a bike might prove difficult for Sam because he has poor core strength and high tone and balance issues and blah, blah blah..." actually made me worry that he would never learn to ride one. (Insert mommy tears!) So the further we got from kindergarten--the year I learned to ride a bike--the more I worried...and worried...and literally lost sleep over this one issue. I just remember the glee and power I felt when I learned, and I wanted that for Sammy and Brie. (For the record, so many of Sammy's preschool challenges are gone now...even without him learning to ride a bike years ago.)

Anyway, Brie was intent on learning recently, so she practiced her little heart out a few weekends in a row and then, BOOM, she got it. She was psyched! Now she wants to bike all the way to Kroger to buy groceries for me (and she'll bring them home in her bike basket). Love it.
Check out the jubilance on her face!
And, as is often the case with siblings, Sam was not to be outdone. So he practiced in the driveway and to and from the bus stop, which is a less than one-minute bike ride, I might add. And he got it! Easily!
When I asked him how it felt to ride his bike, he beamed and said emphatically, "Amazing!!" You can imagine how happy that made his momma feel!
 
Now the two of them bike all over the neighborhood and their friends come to bike and it's wonderful. And I can't believe I was worried at all. Ever. (No more worrying that Sammy would ride his little scooter for the rest of his life either...ha!)
And that's that. Maybe I should reexamine a few other things that I frequently worry about!!

P.S. Over the weekend, Brie drew this picture of her on her bike. Pretty cute!
P.P.S. I wonder who will be next to learn how to two-wheel? I'll give you one guess!

No comments: