But I have the feeling that 2017 calls for something different. While 2016 was a great year for our family, it was an otherwise unusual and, at times, disappointing year outside the De Falco Bubble: the unconventional (i.e. totally bizarre) presidential election in America, a multitude of random and horrific terrorist attacks around the globe, and the deaths of so many amazing and talented individuals, including one of our best friends. I think I'm not alone in looking forward to a clean slate with 2017.
And that got me to thinking...on the best of days, what would I like to see happen? What behavior could I display that would make me proud? What things might happen in the world around me that would make a good day even better? So I made a short list...and my hope is that when one of the following happens, I'll be reminded that even the little things make a big difference. With that in mind, 2017 will no doubt feel like an improvement from last year!
On the best of days, I will...
- Show patience when my kids are (predictably) trying;
- Be present when my children want my attention and remember that they seek quality over quantity from me in that department;
- Take the time to admire each of my children's different gifts...they truly are beautiful individuals inside and out;
- Be pleasantly surprised (and dare I say delighted?) when our president-elect makes a smart decision, shows some discretion and/or represents America well via action or word (likely the former...don't want to set the bar too high!);
- Be grateful for good health and the many little joys in my life*;
- Not forget that countless people are working behind the scenes, so our family can live in safety and peace;
- Remind myself that each stage/phase of my life is the best stage/phase of my life. This has been true my whole life!
- Show the gratitude that I feel for all of Tony's hard work in making our family's days run smoothly, and for helping to create a house full of humor and love. In those rare moments of quiet and stillness in our home, I find myself filled with a deep, solid sense of happiness...and I'm certain that Tony is the root of why.
So that's what I'm thinking this week. On the best of days, if one or more of these things happen, then I can't ask for much more than that. And if I learn to meditate along the way, then that's a bonus! Happy New Year!
*Little joys include picnicking during long roadtrips to/from Virginia!!

No comments:
Post a Comment