Saturday, June 29, 2019

Let's lean in!

Tony and I don't usually have especially busy summers, but this one has tilted to the crazy side. As I mentioned in a previous post, Tony traveled to Hong Kong in May for a one-week work conference...which just so happened to be in the thick of many important deadlines he was facing at work, and why he had to join us a few days late in Virginia Beach earlier this month. We've been back for three weeks and he still has some looming deadlines on the horizon.

My summers are typically quiet compared with the fall/winter (just the nature of the college admissions cycle), but last weekend, I found myself at my company's annual work retreat (I was extremely excited to be invited this year!). We spent a long weekend at a conference center/campground outside of Boston. It was really lovely; I met and got to know my virtual coworkers for the first time (Hint: they rock!); did some team-building with everyone; and gave a lot of thought to why I enjoy admissions work so much and how I can continue to excel at it. It really was the perfect environment to think about professional goals.

This was my bed when I arrived...really cute. I had a roommate, which made the weekend extra fun.
I received some cool IvyGate swag AND an invitation to an Evening of Relaxation!
When the retreat kicked off, we were serenaded by IvyGate leadership.
And then enjoyed a weekend of fun! We kayaked on Lost Lake! Here are me and Morgan!
The whole kayaking gang!
We also painted wood coasters!
 
Ate delicious food, including mussels...
Competed in contests and brain-teasers...
 
Sang karaoke and danced...
And bonded as a team!
I left the retreat with a bolstered enthusiasm for my work and admiration for my smart, accomplished colleagues!!

And then somehow within a week of the retreat, I managed to sign up for an assistant coaching position for Sebastian's soccer team this fall AND was asked to take on a more advanced leadership role where I volunteer most in my free time. Maybe this year will be my year to tackle more? Tony, too? Should we lean in to family, professional life and community service simultaneously? Will we survive? Only time will tell!

No comments: