Saturday, January 16, 2021

Looking back, moving forward

I can't speak for other people, but after a tumultuous year, I'd like to have some closure for 2020. And it's tough knowing that that won't come anytime soon...as the messiness of 2020 rapidly spills right into 2021. Perhaps one day, I'll look back on last year (and my posts about it) with some--dare I say--nostalgia, but right now, I'm pretty done. I will argue, though, that the tough things we go through in life aren't lacking in purpose or without worth. And I've had no lack of time to think these days, so here are my sentiments as we tell 2020 not to let the door hit you on the way out and welcome 2021 like a breath of fresh air that I take in after removing the double masks I've been wearing to avoid the walking herpes (a.k.a. Coronavirus) that's everywhere.

So as I take a moment to look back on 2020, here are a few thoughts:

  • We gave up time with friends and family, but we gained more together time just the five of us. We played board games and cards, watched movies and sang karaoke. Hopefully, the kids will remember this bonding time fondly!

  • We gave up in-person playdates, but gained Zoom dates. The kids frequently Zoom with friends to play Minecraft, Roblox/Adopt Me and Among Us. While not ideal, this has helped them stay in touch with close buddies. I guess we should be grateful that this pandemic happened in a time of advanced technology?
  • We gave up restaurants, but gained delicious carryout and A LOT of home cooking and baking. Aside from trying random recipes online, we've now made over a dozen Purple Carrot meals and discovered that we like unusual ingredients like beluga lentils, beets, hearts of palm, and all spicy spices! Seitan? Not so much...


  • We gave up our gym membership (Tony) and yoga classes (me) and started jogging. We both miss our first choice in exercise outlets, but our regular runs have been great for stress relief and a good excuse to get outdoors. This is me yesterday...it was sunny (and 40 out) and snowing. Seriously! 
  • We gave up in-person school and the quiet of working from home for remote school and jockeying for home internet during school and work calls 😬. I do love watching the kids learn and magically connect with their amazing teachers and classmates despite the distance, but I miss my peaceful hours at home when they kids are in school. They really miss school, too. 
Here's a cute story that shows what I'm privy to during the day: Sebastian had his first spelling test yesterday and, while he was taking it, he announced, "I'm rocking it, I'm a big brain, I'm gonna get first place!" Love his confidence! (He actually did do well. Ha!)

  • We gave up trying to hide many of the world's imperfections from our kids and gained real, mature conversations with them. From the virus, partisan politics and our country's leadership, to Black Lives Matter, white privilege and the insurrection at the Capitol, we've been able to have many discussions with the kids that, we hope, will open their eyes to how the world works and opportunities for them to do both small and big things...now and forever.
  • We gave up countless other things we love, but gained some much-needed perspective. We're stronger than we thought and we're willing to make sacrifices when it keeps us all safe and together. We'll also likely appreciate it all that much more when some normalcy returns. When I tucked Brie in the other night, she said, "The pandemic is the worst thing that's happened in my life and I know life isn't perfect, but now people know it was pretty perfect before COVID." πŸ’— How wise she is...and how true are her words. 

And before I forget...we did have a very fun New Year's celebration! We ate delicious sushi and drank great champagne (and sparkling apple-grape juice). We tried Pictionary Air for the first time--a thoughtful holiday gift from Aunt Jenny out in L.A. And we sang karaoke, of course!

This is what the Pictionary Air pen looks like...

And here's what you see on the screen. Very entertaining! 




On New Year's Day, we baked the last of our gingerbread dough...
and had a big cookie decorating party!
A sweet start to the year!

So 2020 did have some (sorta) upsides and (maybe) 2021's not going to totally stink after all, right?

We wish you all a happy, healthy and safe new year! We've got our fingers crossed!!

No comments: