The other day Sammy announced, "Mom, did you know that two is always better than one?" I thought for a moment and said, "I don't know, Sammy, what about two headaches? Or two dirty diapers? Maybe one is sometimes better." Obviously, I have a few years of life experience on my six-year-old and he was thinking about candy bars and hours he can watch Chima, but it got me thinking:
When is two better than one? When is more better than less? So, in the spirit of the new year, I thought I'd jot a quick list of things I hope we experience in more abundance this year...just to test Sammy's theory. ;-)
Silly Sammy + Sassy Brie + Cute Sebastian = Smiles and Laughter Galore! We so enjoy this every day. In fact, Tony says Sebastian is good for at least 30-40 smiles a day. I could not agree more.
Oh, how your patience (and sense of humor) is tested daily (hourly?) once you're a parent. Experts say deep breaths can keep you from making a split-second parenting decision that really needed a clearer head and more deliberation. What if it's 4 (FOUR!) degrees out? That's added stress! We'll see about this...
I often joke that I'm glad I have my admissions work or else I would hug and kiss Sebastian all day, which is not a great work-life balance...haha. With the bigger kids, the school-and-after-school-activities rounds can lead to a frenzied lifestyle that's lacking affection. Aiming to love more (with some deep breaths thrown in) might just be the key to increased parenting satisfaction.
A former boss once told me I was good at focusing on the here and now, but not great at seeing the big picture. This is an easy trap to fall into when it comes to parenting. Tony and I both try to "pick our battles," remind ourselves that tough spells will pass and remember that there's something to be learned from every challenge. Even potty mouths at the dinner table. ((sigh))
- More delicious food and new recipes
We tried
this recipe last week and I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars; it looked delicious, but I know just what to do next time to make it yummier. And who can forget that Sebastian is enjoying all of his new foods, too. Here's to the Foodie Five this year!
2014 was not the most sleep-filled year...no year with a newborn is! Like his big sibs before him, Sebastian is a great sleeper now...so let's toast to more Zzzzzzzzzs!!
We don't live on Adventure Lane for nothing! Tony has some big work trips in the works this year, and we have an exciting vacation or two on the horizon for the kids. And who can forget the backyard and local parks?! Can't wait!
This
could mean me reading more admissions applications, but I was actually referring to Sammy's reading taking off (and the feeling I have that Brie is not far behind him). Oh, and Sebastian is all ears! Let the fun begin!
- More quality time with family and friends
Last weekend, we hosted some friends for brunch and it was so fun to chat with adults while the kids played and played. We ate great food and joked about our children being "assertive" rather than "bossy." What a nice way to reboot.
This began over the holidays when Sammy was pestering Brie and she said, "Give me peace, Sammy!" I think we all feel like this from time to time. And the kids' bickering is about to reach a fever pitch of late, so I vote for more peace...both in our home and worldwide!
Happy New Year (of More)!
No comments:
Post a Comment